Friday, July 13, 2007

Toddler kicked off plane... good.

Just read this story where a woman said she and her toddler son were kicked off a plane after she refused a flight attendant's request to medicate her son to get him to quiet down and stop saying "Bye bye, plane."

I love this story. The last couple of times I have flown, I've had to listen to babies and little kids whining, howling, babbling and crying to the point where I wanted to kick the kid off myself... mid-air.

Then I started thinking... why are these living, breathing noise-makers evenly dispersed throughout the plane, ensuring that the entire passenger load is subject to this auditory assault?

I remember when there were smoking sections on planes, on the premise that people who indulge in noxious, annoying habits should only inflict those habits on one another. Why not apply this same logic to the noxious, annoying habit of allowing your precious bundle of joy to scream and cry at maximum volume for hours at a time?

Simply create a child section of the plane, for any passengers with children under the age of 8 or nine. Put a diaper changing table in the nearest bathroom, juice holders in the fold down trays, Highlight magazines in the magazine pockets, bring tiny liquor bottles full of chocolate milk over once an hour, whatever these children and parents need to get through the flight in comfort.

In the meantime, I, and those other childless travelers can specifically request to be as far away as that den of caterwauling and mewling as humanly possible.

No comments: